Blog Archive

Thursday 20 November 2014



Welcome to my first blog interview.

I am pleased to introduce the lovely Clair Plaisted of Plaisted Publishing House.




.

Hello Claire. Tell us a bit about yourself.

I was bought up in Cheshire, England with wonderful parents and two siblings.  I moved to New Zealand in 1991 and married my dream man in 1992.  I have three children and two cats.   Over the last 15 years I have been at home with my children.  During that time I became interested in Family History, doing a lot of research for my husband’s line, (which is still ongoing) as well as helping others.  During my working life I have worked in the fashion industry as a cutter and in retail. 

What bought you to the world of writing?

In 2012 was waiting for information for a Family History Book I was making, the information was very slow in arriving (we all have busy lives).  Bored, I opened a word document and started to write.  It was a Regency Historical Romance, not overly surprising.  I sent the first three chapters to two friends.  They loved it and wanted more.  This novel is still to be published.

What is your first book and what do you think of it now?

My first book and best seller was actually a Family Reunion Book which I researched and wrote in 2011.  Still love it.  My first novel is “The Mystery at Crosswick Manor” as mentioned above.  I look forward to releasing it, one day.  It is a good story with the usual twists and turns.  It will be a series, I aim to have it published next year.

What type of books do you write and do they fulfil your reader’s needs?

I write all genre at present though published are adult detective mystery and children’s books.  Those who have read them ask for more which is why my Garrett Investigation Bureau (GIB) Series is still continuing.  My children’s books keep them interested, a few parents have said their children devour them, one child who isn’t a reader loved my first kid’s book “Zoe’s Journey,” which was written for 10 +.

Would you like to feature a book, if so which one?  Tell us about it?

“Girlie and the War of the Wasps.”  This is my next children’s title and is set to be published in time for Christmas.  It is about a young blue ladybug called Girlie, who sees her best friend Grassi the Grasshopper kidnapped by mean naughty wasps.  She follows them and what a surprise she gets.  The quest to save her village and change the antics of the wasp starts.  She meets Sammie the kitten, Pedi the centipede and many different coloured ladybugs along the way.  A story for all ages; with an educational message.

How long does it take you to write your first draft?

I have not really stopped to look, if I have the flow I will write as long as possible.  I first draft would take around a month, depending on the interest I have in the subject.  After this I put it away for 4 – 6 weeks and start another one.  If I do get stuck, I’ll got to another draft and see if I can add more.

Do you plot or not, if so why?

Nope not real plotting for me, my fingers type and the story unrolls.  If I do get stuck I may leave it for a few days or chuck ideas around with a couple of friends.  These days I do simple character sheets, especially for my series.  I dislike it when people get names and descriptions wrong in their books.  I am very lucky with my Beta Readers who let me know if I have or if something is repeated.

Do you write in 1st or 3rd person, or have you do both?

I mainly write in 3rd person.  I have written a couple of short stories in 1st person and I have a draft with both, which is fun to do and a bit confusing.

How do you edit your work?  Do you leave your draft alone for a while or edit as you write?

Leave my work for up to 6 weeks before a re-draft.  During that time the story goes out to my beta readers and editor so they can give me some feedback and feed forward.

What type of people/readers do you market your books to?

My adult books are aimed at women and children or families with young children.

Do you self-publish or have you worked with an Agent/Publisher

I self-publish.  I dislike getting rejected with no feedback.  You send something in which is in the genre they want and the publisher says, “Not for us at this time.” How many books have they missed which were fab.  I am so glad authors self-publish; there are some great books out there, which probably would never have made it through a big publishing house.

How do you promote your writing?

Social media, local books stores, newspapers and my website.

Where can we buy your books?

Print books are available through most major online book stores, including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Fishpond and many more.  My eBooks are available via Smashwords, Kobo, Nook, Kindle and many more.  They are even compatible with Apple.

Who are your favourite authors?

C S Lewis, A A Milne, Enid Blyton for my children’s books.  Adult books, Linda Fairstein, Clive Cussler, J D Robb, Nora Roberts and many more.

Links




Do you have any more information you’d like to share with us?

I’d like to share the cover for my children’s book “Girlie and the War of the Wasps.”  It is a concept drawing which I will be having a colouring in competition for local children.




Thank you for your interest in my journey Catherine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment