Blog Archive

Tuesday 5 April 2016

.Books by Catherine M Byrne

Today's interview.



Welcome to my blog interview.
I am pleased to introduce  the lovely Carol Arnall

HelloCarol. Tell us a bit about yourself. 

A number of years ago I was involved in serious a car accident. I hasten to add I was not driving!     As I could not return to work I decided I would write the book I had always wanted to. I was also able to devote more of my time to other hobbies and taught myself freestyle embroidery. I also discovered a talent for fabric painting. In a way I think the accident was a bit of a blessing in disguise as it opened up many doors for me that I might never have discovered.

What is your first book and what do you think of it now?

My first book was Mystical Staffordshire it was in booklet form and I self-published it. This was back in the early 1990s. I was so happy that every copy of the 1,000 I had printed was sold.
What type of books do you write and do they fulfil your reader’s needs?

I normally write about ghosts and past lives. I do receive good reviews and chat to readers on social media or via email about them. Of course some people don’t get them but that’s the name of the game.

Would you like to feature a book, if so which one?  Tell us about it?

The Ghosts of Westerlea is my latest novel.
Haunted by her traumatic past that has left her suffering from anxiety, apart from being able to communicate verbally with her dog George, Ella Brighson is mute.
Ella decides to move to Westerlea to an isolated cottage deep in the heart of the Staffordshire countryside. Westerlea has everything she needs to aid her recovery and make her feel ‘whole’ again.
After living at the cottage for a short time, Ella begins dreaming about a woman called Jean and her granddaughter, Tricia. She also starts hearing voices and whispers along with other unexplained sounds which appear to emanate from the walls of the cottage. When out walking one day she sees a group of ghost children nearby.
Who are the people she dreams about? Who are the ghost children and why do they haunt the cottage and the area around Westerlea? And why does Ella’s ex-boyfriend stalk her?
Through her dreams Ella discovers that Jean has secrets which she is reluctant to share with her granddaughter, knowing that if she does, Tricia will leave her, and Jean will face her future alone.

How long does it take you to write your first draft?

Oh anything from 6 -9 months. Despite trying to write a 1,000 words a day it never works.  I just try and relax about it.

Do you plot or not, if so why?

I have an idea, and a character or two enter my mind and I let them lead me into the story. I find it more interesting this way. I do sometimes scribble ideas down but when I start writing the story it invariably changes.

Do you write in 1st or 3rd person, or have you do both?

I prefer the 3rd person.

How do you edit your work?  Do you leave your draft alone for a while or edit as you write?

I find it best to leave it a week or so. Then I return to it and after that leave it for a few weeks. It’s the only way for me. Because even then I find awful errors!

What type of people/readers do you market your books to?

It’s difficult to find them unless I have an article in a paper. I think people know that in the main I write about ghosts so if I step out of line they are disappointed.

Do you self-publish or have you worked with an Agent/Publisher

Years ago I had offers from publishers but due to a serious illness I’d had I decided to follow my own star. I can’t work to a deadline. It makes me ill.

How do you promote your writing? 

Twitter and on the MOA. I really must get my work back out in to the wider community.

Where can we buy your books?

Amazon

Who are your favourite authors?

Anna Jacobs, Barbara Erskine.

You appear to write a lot about the supernatural. Is this a special interest of yours? Do you have any experiences to share with us?

My last ghostly sighting was of one of my dogs on Boxing Day last Christmas. It wasn’t really a sighting. I was standing in the kitchen when I thought that my dog was nuzzling the back of leg. I glanced down and he (George) was not there. I thought how strange. And then I saw George asleep a short distance away from my other leg. I knew then that one of my dogs who had died was paying me a Christmas visit. In fact I should imagine that they were both visiting me. One would not come without the other.
I’ve had a few experiences of their presence since they died. I’m not afraid in any way at all. Their visits bring me comfort.

Do you have any more information you’d like to share?

I’m just happy to be here with you Cath and the readers of your blog. Thanks so much for asking me and a big hello to your followers. Speak soon.

Links.
My Amazon author page book link 
Twitter
Facebook

Thank you very much, Carol, for sharing your stories with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment